Living a healthy lifestyle does not only involve going to the gym and avoiding some foods. Healthy living also has to do with the consumption of a nutritious diet that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. According to research findings, when you eat a nutritious diet, you will look healthy and be less susceptible to certain health conditions.
One way to add nutritionally dense food to your diet is to eat superfoods.
Here, we will explain what superfoods are and the benefits associated with eating superfoods. We will also tell you some common superfoods that you can purchase in Nigeria.
What are Superfoods?
There is no general or official definition of superfoods. However, the majority of people define superfood as a food that is highly nutritious with a lot of benefits to the health. These nutrient-packed foods that can improve your health by supplying your body with necessary vitamins and minerals.
However, it should be noted that this category of food is not an instant cure-all. Superfoods can serve as a cornerstone of a very healthy lifestyle if they are appropriately incorporated into your diet.
Significantly, while superfoods are known to have high nutritional density, these foods also contain antioxidants.
What are Antioxidants? Antioxidants are natural molecules available in some kinds of food. They function by neutralizing free radicals in the human body. Free radicals are harmful to our body; they are a natural byproduct of processes in the body involving energy production.
Antioxidants are therefore very essential because they reverse or minimize the effects of free radicals. Some health problems that are associated with free radicals include:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Respiratory disease
- Immune deficiency
Studies have also shown that superfoods are rich in flavonoids and antioxidants that fight against cancer and coronary heart diseases. Furthermore, regular intake of superfoods will boost immunity and reduce the chances of inflammation.
Superfoods contain nutrients that boost energy and promote healthy skin, hair, and nails.
Superfoods in Nigeria
A lot of Nigerians who read about the wonders of superfoods are turned off by the inaccessibility of superfoods in Nigeria. However, many superfoods are available in Nigerian markets. You do not need to go to specialty stores to find these nutrient-packed foods.
Some of the common Superfoods that can be easily found in Nigeria include:
- Sweet potatoes
What are the benefits of eating superfoods?
Superfoods contain numerous minerals as well as molecules which are of great benefit to consumers.
Some reasons why you should start eating superfoods are :
- They strengthen the body to fight against diseases
- Regular intakes of superfoods keep you healthy
- Superfoods have the ability to increase or improve your energy levels
- Proper intake of Superfoods will reduce the effects of aging.
- These foods contain antioxidants that can prevent cancer
- Superfoods contain healthy fats that help to reduce the risk of heart-related diseases
- They contain fibers; this prevent digestive problems and diabetes
- They improve the overall condition of the heart. Superfoods have phytochemicals that help minimize the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases.
- They protect the organs in the human body from toxins
- Superfoods are also known to help reduce cholesterol level
- They reduce inflammation and regulate metabolism
- They promote healthy complexion, nails, and hair.
How to incorporate super foods into your diet
Now that you know what superfoods are and how they are beneficial to you, you should start eating more of them.
Here are some easy but delicious ways that you can add superfoods to your diet.
- Make a smoothie: This is one of the easiest ways to consume superfoods. Blend a superfood with some banana and yogurt for a treat that is as sweet as it is nutritious.
- Snack wisely: Instead of picking up a bag of chips or cookies when you are hungry, grab a superfood instead. Nuts, yogurt, oatmeal, and even blueberries are great snack items. The best part of snacking wisely is that you will also control your weight as well.
- Bake a cake: As contradictory as this may sound, it is not a mistake. If you have a sweet tooth, incorporate superfoods into your baked goods for an increased nutrient and fiber intake while having a treat.
- Make a salad: A lot of superfoods will make great additions to savory or sweet salads. To enjoy eating your superfoods, make a salad with all the fruits or vegetables you enjoy.
To enjoy the benefits of superfoods, you will need to eat them regularly. It is very important to know that while the benefits of superfoods are numerous, they cannot replace medical aid. Furthermore, while superfoods are packed with nutrients, no one superfood has all the vitamins and minerals that your body needs. You should endeavor to incorporate superfoods into your diet starting from today.