If you are a Nigerian or you are simply interested in the culture, traditions, and practices of Nigerians; here is an article that would be of huge benefit to you!
First, you need to understand that Nigeria is a culture with an amazing history, rich culture, and fun-loving people! There is no dull moment with a Nigerian.
Nigeria is also very popular, hence, there are a lot of misconceptions that spread fast and that needs to be corrected.
According to this Fact Sheet in 2012, here are some facts about Nigeria you need to definitely know!
- Nigeria has 250 ethnic groups
- Africa’s most populated country
- Nigeria borders the Gulf of Guinea and is located between Benin and Cameroon.
- Some of Nigeria’s natural resources are petroleum, natural gas, tin, iron ore, coal, limestone, niobium, lead, zinc, arable land.
- Some of the most populous ethnic groups in Nigeria are Hausa and Fulani 29%, Yoruba 21%, Igbo (Ibo) 18%, Ijaw 10%, Kanuri 4%, Ibibio 3.5%, Tiv 2.5%.
- There are over 500 indigenous languages in Nigeria
- The dominant religion is Christianity and Islam with a few people practising indigenous tradition
Here are some additional facts you ought to also know:
- Nigeria got her name from the longest river in West Africa – River Niger
- According to the World Resources Institute, Nigeria is home to 4,715 different types of plant species, and over 550 species of breeding birds and mammals, making it one of the most ecologically vibrant places of the planet.
- Nigeria Houses Africa’s longest bridge
- Nigeria is home to seven percent (7%) of the total languages spoken on earth.
- The country is also the 7th most populous nation in the world
- The richest man in Africa is a Nigeria. His name is Aliko Dangote, the founder of the Dangote Group
- The Nigerian Movie Industry also known as Nollywood is the second largest producer of movies in the world after Bollywood.
- The richest black woman in the world is a Nigerian – Folorunso Alakija